Women’s rights are human rights. So is healthcare. To deny women access to healthcare, including reproductive services and abortion, is to deny their human rights.
This administration continually attacks and endangers women’s rights/health: rolling back birth control access, threatening family planning clinics’ funding, defunding teen pregnancy prevention programs, opposing UN breastfeeding resolutions, enacting/ expanding the global gag rule.
Kavanaugh’s nomination further threatens abortion access and women’s health. As a judge, Kavanaugh tried to block undocumented teenager’s abortion, claiming government’s grant of access relied on a novel and wrong constitutional principle. He’s given speeches praising a Roe dissent – indicating he doesn’t support the decision. A former law clerk wrote: no court-of-appeals judge has stronger record of enforcing restrictions on abortion. Sen. Wyden called his extreme views a threat to choice, contraception, and all our priorities for women.
Attacks on women’s health are constant at the state level too. This November we must defeat Measure 106 (Constitutional Amendment banning public funds for abortions).
Women don’t ask for special treatment – we only want our rights respected. Our Senators champion women’s rights and are working to stop Kavanaugh. Call to thank them. Then act to defend women’s rights. Lives depend on it.
Join us at #ResistTrumpTuesday on Tuesday, August 7 at 11:30 in the courtyard of Senator Merkley’s office 121 SW Salmon Street. We will meet with Senator Merkley’s staff and ask the Senator to
- make sure Kavanaugh’s ENTIRE record is released/reviewed, including his 3 years as White House Staff Secretary
- stop Kavanaugh from being confirmed
- #DefendRoe and women’s rights.
(Every script this week focuses on stopping Kavanaugh. Please call every day. Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. Brett Kavanaugh threatens almost every value I hold dear including Roe v Wade. I am calling to thank him for strongly speaking out against this nomination and ask that he make sure Kavanaugh’s entire record is reviewed and do all he can to stop Kavanaugh from being confirmed.”
To defend women’s rights on the federal level, we need to #SaveSCOTUS
- Sign up for a calling shift to #SaveSCOTUS with Indivisible Guide. Call key voters in Arizona, Mississippi, Nevada, Tenessee and Texas and help them tell their Senators to vote No on Kavanaugh https://www.indivisible.org/save-scotus/
- Help take back the Senate and adopt a vulnerable blue senator in a red state. Bring to their attention Red State Democrats Have No Good Reason to Vote for Brett Kavanaugh. Do something every month to help their election. roadto2018.com
To defend women’s rights in Oregon, we need to
- Oppose Measure 106, a response to Governor Kate Brown’s signing the Reproductive Health Equality Act. This Constitutional Amendment banning public funds for abortions must be stopped. Work to Oppose Measure 106 and demand No Cuts To Care https://nocutstocare.com/