DEMAND TRUMP SANCTION RUSSIA
“The President decides to ignore that law. Folks, that is a constitutional crisis.” – Senator McCaskill
Responding to Russia’s 2016 attacks undermining our elections, Congress did a rare thing in this age. It passed a bill almost unanimously, with a 517-5 vote: the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act. Donald Trump signed it into law. The bill punishes Russia for past hacking and discourages future hacking by:
- maintaining already-imposed Obama administration sanctions
- identifying Russian entities to be penalized with new sanctions by 10/1/17
- imposing sanctions by 1/29/18
Yet Trump refuses to follow the law and implement sanctions.
- He released a minimal list three weeks after the 10/1 deadline AND after GOP pressure.
- He ignored the 1/29 deadline for imposing sanctions on “oligarchs” close to Putin’s government; instead he released a list of Russian government officials, plus 96 “oligarchs” named by Forbes magazine as Russian billionaires.
- He announced sanctions are unnecessary, ignoring that the law requires sanctions on those doing “significant” business with people linked to Russia’s defense/intelligence agencies.
Monday we called to protect Mueller and our elections. We still have work to do. Future elections will be compromised unless we make it too difficult for Russia to interfere. We must pressure Trump to follow the law by censuring him AND blocking nominees until he does (as Senator McCain has suggested).
ACTION1: CALL YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS
(Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR WYDEN AND MERKLEY
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am outraged that Trump has refused to impose sanctions on Russia. Congress must take all steps necessary to force Trump to carry out his constitutionally required responsibilities and to ensure that future elections are free from Russian hacking. Specifically: I’m asking the Senator to censure him and withhold confirmation of his nominees until he complies with the Russian sanctions law. Thank you.”
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR ALL REPRESENTATIVES
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am outraged that Trump has refused to impose sanctions on Russia. I am urging my Representative to immediately call on Trump to carry out his constitutionally required responsibilities and to
agree to censure him if he fails to comply. Congress must take all steps necessary to ensure that future elections are free from Russian hacking. Thank you.”