ACTION ONE: CALL YOUR SENATORS
SAMPLE SCRIPT FOR WYDEN AND MERKLEY:
My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because…
I am calling to ask the Senator to do three things to protect our present and future:
- push to revoke Trump’s (fake) national emergency in the Senate
- persuade Republicans to investigate illegal efforts to influence our elections
- to champion the Social Security 2100 Act in the Senate
CALL SENATOR MERKLEY
CALL SENATOR WYDEN
ACTION Two: CALL YOUR House reps
SAMPLE SCRIPTs FOR Representatives:
My name is [Name] I am a constituent living in [TOWN], [ZIP code].
I am calling to ask the Representative to do three things to protect our present and future:
- vote YES to revoke Trump’s (fake) national emergency
- do all he/she can to make the Mueller report public and support a subpoena of the report if necessary
- to vote YES on the Social Security 2100 Act
CALL Suzanne Bonamici (OR-01)
Call Greg Walden (OR-02)
CALL BLUMENAUER (OR-03)
CALL PETER DEFAZIO (OR-04)
CALL Kurt Schrader (OR-05)
We have said repeatedly that Congress must:
- stand up for democratic institutions
- protect the constitution and revoke Trump’s (fake) national emergency
- safeguard the public and make sure the Mueller report is issued in full and original form, minus redactions of sources and methods
At the same time, we must resist the tendency to focus only on crises. A symptom of authoritarianism is that people stop planning for the future because so much is out of their control.
Therefore, we are raising the issue of reforming Social Security.
- Social Security is under the Senate Finance Committee’s jurisdiction, where Sen. Wyden is Ranking Member.
- The House is considering the Social Security 2100 Act to expand and stabilize Social Security.
We ask our Members of Congress to
- champion the Social Security 2100 Act
- stand up for the constitution and revoke Trump’s (fake) national emergency
- do all they can to make the Mueller report public and support a subpoena of the Mueller report if necessary.
Congress must work to protect our present and our future.