Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court would make the court far more conservative and lock in the rulings for decades.
He is Brett Kavanaugh, 53, once a member of Kenneth Starr’s witch-hunt of Bill Clinton, a former official in the George W. Bush administration and, for the last 12 years, a judge on DC’s Circuit Court of Appeals.
Kavanaugh’s resume, judicial opinions, op-eds and speeches reveal his opposition to:
- Gun control
- Environmental regulations
More important to Trump is Kavanaugh’s belief that a sitting president could not be indicted. He even urged Congress to pass a law ensuring that a sitting president would never stand criminal trial. This opinion would place Trump above the law.
Although Republicans hold the majority in the Senate, split 50-49 (with McCain absent), Kavanaugh’s confirmation is not assured.
Just last week, the Republican confirmation machinery jammed when our Senators made a nominee’s racist and inflammatory articles known to all. One Republican senator objected. That single vote sunk the nomination.
Although Republicans would limit the examination of the record of Kavanaugh’s opinions, a complete review is vital before voting on a lifetime appointment. Call your senators now and demand a full record.
(Leave a message if you can’t get through)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because I am fear an extremist Supreme Court will limit our freedoms and, at the same time, place Trump above the law. I appreciate everything the Senator did to stop Ryan Bounds. I ask him to do the same and stop Kavanaugh by demanding his full record be reviewed and speak to his Republican colleagues about how Kavanaugh is wrong for America.”
It has become clear that we need a different Senate to protect our Supreme Court
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Check out Indivisible Oregon’s website for plans for midterms.
- Join us in working to defeat the Trump-aligned US Congressman in Oregon who architected the ACA repeal, Greg Walden, by volunteering to engage voters in Eastern Oregon.
- Join us in working to defeat the Trump-aligned US Congresswoman in the swing district 15 minutes from Portland by volunteering to engage voters in the Vancouver area.
- Make sure every candidate for Congress is answering questions about how they will work to protect our Supreme Court.
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives. Lives depend on it.
Set up a “Today’s Action” link on the home screen of your iPhone:
1. In Safari, navigate to http://www.indivisibleor.org/todays-action/
2. At the bottom of the screen, click the Share icon (square with an arrow pointing up)
3. Scroll to find “Add to Home Screen”
4. Edit the title field if desired, then click Add!
- New York Times profile “Influential Judge, Loyal Friend, Conservative Warrior — and D.C. Insider”
- Washington Post “The Elite World of Brett Kavanaugh
- SCOTUS Blog collection of Kavanaugh’s writing and speeches
- Huffington Post on Kavanaugh’s views
- NY Magazine on why Red State Democrats should reject him
- Brennan Center on Kavanaugh’s view of President’s legal exceptionalism
- NY Times’ Linda Greenhouse column on Kavanaugh’s famous dog whistle on abortion
- Five Thirty Eight on placing Kavanaugh on the conservative spectrum