Trump’s preparing to shut down Mueller investigation, and GOP will allow it, as long as that happens after Midterms so it doesn’t interfere with Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation. It’s up to the Democrats and November’s voters to ensure this doesn’t happen.
As Mueller tightens noose around Trump, he’s become more obsessed with shutting it down. So far, his worst urges been stymied by McGahn and Sessions. But now that McGahn’s effectively fired and Sessions will soon be replaced, Trump’s floating other self-protective measures:
- fighting subpoena from Mueller up to Supreme Court
- firing Rosenstein
- finding new Attorney General who’ll cripple/shut down Mueller investigation
- pardoning Manafort to prevent cooperation with Mueller
- pardoning himself
Of all jurists on Trump’s list, Kavanaugh’s most likely to shield Trump from criminal accountability and ignore excessive assertions of executive authority. His writings suggest that a president:
- cannot be indicted (only impeached) for criminal acts
- can control hiring/firing special counsels
- is excused, while in office, from ordinary citizenship’s burdens, like responding to civil lawsuits/criminal investigations
- needn’t enforce statutes believed unconstitutional
The battle lines are drawn. Senate Dems, and GOP colleagues who believe he’s a threat to democracy, must act swiftly. We call on our MoCs to lead the charge.
Join us at #ResistTrumpTuesday on Tuesday, September 4 at 11:30 in the courtyard of Senator Merkley’s office, 121 SW Salmon Street. We will meet with Senator Merkley’s staff and ask the Senator to demand:
- No Judiciary hearing or Senate vote until all records released and Mueller investigation has cleared Trump
- Immediate passage of legislation protecting the Mueller investigation.
(Leave a message if you can’t get through)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because I am very worried that Trump will soon fire Mueller and, if Kavanaugh’s confirmed, the Supreme Court will shield Trump from accountability for his corruption and crimes. Please thank Senator [*] for his outspokenness on both of these issues. To protect our democracy and avoid a constitutional crisis, the Senator must (1) make clear Sessions/Rosenstein/Mueller firings won’t be tolerated, (2) push for swift passage of legislation protecting Mueller investigation, like S.2644, and (3) convince colleagues that Mueller investigation and Kavanaugh are linked and that confirmation process cannot go forward unless Mueller clears Trump and Senate and public given access to all Kavanaugh’s records. Thank you.”
Not sure who your U.S. Representative is? Find out here.
(Leave a message if you can’t get through)
“My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling because I am very worried that Trump will soon fire Mueller or otherwise impede or curtail his investigation into Trump campaign’s illegal efforts to affect the 2016 election and his subsequent obstruction of justice. To protect our democracy and avoid a constitutional crisis, Congress must act swiftly. I urge Rep. [*] to immediately make clear that Trump’s firing of Sessions, Rosenstein or Mueller will not be tolerated and to push for passage of legislation, like HR.5476, that will protect the Mueller investigation. Thank you.”
- Help take back the Senate and adopt a vulnerable blue senator in a red state. Bring to their attention Red State Democrats Have No Good Reason to Vote for Brett Kavanaugh and that the Mueller investigation and the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh are inextricably linked. Do something every month to help their election. www.roadto2018.com
- Sign up for a calling shift to #SaveSCOTUS with Indivisible Guide. Call key voters in Arizona, Mississippi, Nevada, Tennessee and Texas and help them tell their Senators to speak out against Trump’s interference in the Mueller investigation, how that and Kavanaugh’s nomination are inextricably linked, and to vote No on Kavanaugh https://www.indivisible.org/save-scotus/
- Check out this new resource from Pod Save America: Vote Save America https://votesaveamerica.com/.
- Sign up for midterm actions with other volunteers from Indivisible Oregon