ACTION ONE: TAKE ACTION IN 2020 TO TAKE BACK OUR DEMOCRACY
Between now and November commit to doing the following on a regular basis:
- Call Congress with Indivisible Oregon at least weekly and regularly remind our Members of Congress of the importance of securing our elections.
- Sign up for Swing Left’s regular letter writing parties at: Take Action Now. If you are in the Portland area, join Indivisible Oregon letter writing parties with Swing Left/Vote Forward.
- Contribute to a Swing Left Fundraiser.
- Host your own Swing Left letter writing parties for your friends.
- Write letters to prospective voters from your home. Go to Vote Forward, download letters, fill them out, and send them on the date specified.
The fabric of our society is being shredded and our Constitution lies in tatters. The GOP’s refusal to impeach Trump has emboldened him to go after his enemies and make America a banana republic.
All’s not lost, however, since we can restore our democracy—by flipping the Senate, defending the House, winning state-level races to control 2021’s redistricting (allowing Democrats to win more House seats over next decade), and taking back the Presidency.
Accomplishing this monumental task, which is Swing Left’s goal, requires shoring up Democratic base, while also bringing in people who rarely or never vote (disproportionately women, people of color, youths)—especially important given GOP’s voter-registration purges, ID requirements, tactics to discouraging turnout, and Trump’s fear-mongering and disinformation.
Swing Left, whose tactics helped Dems take back the House in 2018, has identified 12 “Super States” (Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maine, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida) that will be key to success in 2020.
Time is of the essence and we all need to be involved in this fight. This Valentine’s Day, show love for our country by joining with Swing Left to register voters and increase turnout sufficiently to win big in 2020.